Monday, September 2, 2013

The Queen Called

The week before my departure of the United States was wild. I popped a tire, got sick, signed a lease for an apartment for my return, my beloved childhood dog died, had a job interview, watched my boyfriend graduate from Navy Bootcamp, and we got engaged the same day. So attempting to fit in a blog post before I left was a daunting task, so I left without posting.

But as an intro as to why I am going to be in London, I will say this: The Clash sing a song called "London Calling"... to a far away town, etc etc. Even though the song is about World War One (or two?) It gets the point across that London is calling for people to come in (and join the military) but at any rate. London calls me. The Queen phoned the other day and told me that she wants me to teach people about England's history, tell all of the American children about England when I am a teacher. So I am going to do that. I am studying at The Ohio State University, in Columbus, Ohio, and I am a History Major/English Minor Junior year. English history is my specialty and I could probably give just as good of a tour of the Tower of London as the Beefeaters themselves. At any rate, after my long long week of never ending excitement, I left Chicago, Il with one red suitcase, a black leather bag, a Hurley backpack and a moose pillow pet, whom I call "moose".

I could not wait to get on my plane to London just to be able to sleep a full night! (I had only gotten 3 hours for the past 4 nights!) Unfortunately I could not sleep on my flight as I was seated next to two men speaking Russian very loudly the entire flight, and an Indian man snoring as loud as the jet engines. At last, we landed in Frankfurt, Germany. Landing in Germany and flying Lufthansa made for a great sense of nostalgia for my previous trip to Germany 3 years ago. I checked the boards for my connection flight's gate, and started towards B28, carrying my moose pillow pet, a bag, and a backpack. Unfortunately that was not my flight, I looked at the incorrect departure time and flight number! So I check again. B47. Before I walk to my gate, I decided to change my clothes since I looked like a hobo in my sweat suit and loafers. I put on jeans and a cool green shirt. I walk across the airport looking for my gate, get there and realize my gate has "changed". The man at the desk tells me it is now at B20, so I walk back across the airport, to B20, find it, and it is blocked off... So I give up, get some money exchanged, and have a bite to eat. I ordered a glass of water because I didn't want to pay for a drink. Forgetting I was in Germany and water comes in bottles and is 3.40 euros... Ugh. My sandwich was good though. 

Once I get back on my plane I am happy, somewhat awake. I passed out before we took off and I don't even remember taking off. I remember waking up because my toes were cold, and attempting to warm them by sitting on them. I fell back asleep. I was conscious for like 20 minutes of this flight. 

Upon my arrival at Heathrow, I had a master plan to: get through customs, go pee, find my bag, get on the tube. I did all of the above except go pee, and by the time I got to my hotel, I had almost peed my pants. After I exited customs I was greeted by a giant poster of Yoda, I don't remember what he was saying but, I remember it being awesome.
The tube ticket man was nice and showed me the best way to get to my hotel, and to switch trains at this or that station to get on another line that will take me close to the hotel. If I had a nickle for every time I heard the woman on the over speakers say "This is the Piccadilly Line with service to Cockfosters" I would buy myself a pint. Every time she said "Cockfosters" I giggled inside. What a lame name to have. Even though I did what ticket man said, I still couldn't find the hotel at my station, so I got a cab to take me there for 3.5, but I just gave him a 5. He was so happy I did... lol, its the little things in life I guess.


My hotel was boss. It was beautiful and modern, and tiny, but everything here is tiny. I showered in scalding hot shower, and ordered You, Me, Sushi for dinner. Boy that was yummy! Quick delivery, but I ordered WAY too much so I am taking note of that for next time. I watched some show on QUEST, then passed out with the TV on. Somehow the TV was off when I woke up which was weird. Maybe it was some power saving European thing. 

I woke up at 8am, then decided to sleep for another hour. Then I couldn't sleep anymore, so I got up, got ready, and checked out. I walked outside, and there was a van there and the guy asked me if I needed a cab. I said yes, so he picked up my bag and drove me to my destination... for 13 freaking pounds. And the cab did not have a fare meter in it so I was TOTALLY sketched out. I thought I was going to die and become another form of Taken. The Lord had mercy on me, and the guy took me to my school. Never again will that happen. Later that day I read that "If it isn't a mini cab, its just some stranger's car". I almost died again. The terror. 

My roommates are cool so far! I am glad for it. Emily is from Alabama and Elena is from Boston. We have a three person (obviously) dorm room, with our own bathroom! I am so happy for the own bathroom thing, it makes life easier. 

Tonight we have a floor meeting then we are going to a pub. I am excited to meet people, but more excited for tomorrow to find a mattress pad for this brutal bed.




No comments:

Post a Comment