Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The Healing Waters of Bath

Emily and I woke early and chugged along the street to the bus stop where the coach would pick us up to take us to Stonehenge and Bath for the day. We got a breakfast baguette sandwich and a tea and smashed it before we got on the bus.

The bus was about 20 minutes late and came on the opposite side of the street which was not a problem, because it ended up closer to us, so we were the first to board. We got on the double decker coach and scored the front seat with a big window in front of us. It was so wild to see how close the bus got to other cars; the view was amazing. It didn't take long to exit London, and before we knew it we were rolling along next to green fields filled with sheep. It did not take long for me to fall asleep.

I was awoken by the tour guide coming on over the speakers to tell us a bit about Stonehenge and it's "origins"... Even though no one really knows about its origins at all, so that is slightly irritating... I do not like mysteries.

Upon our arrival to Stonehenge I was very awake, and we scurried out into the rain (as usual) and into the que. We didn't have to que long, but it was windy and Emily and I were froze. Luckily I had brought my rather large dome umbrella which served as a shield for our faces from the offensive elements.

Stonehenge itself was rather interesting, and exceptionally crowded. It is quite amazing how so many people gather around every single day to see a bunch of rocks all stacked up next to each other in a sheep field... I mean, it was cool to see this "Wonder of the World", but I just don't understand the pile of rocks. WHY THE HELL ARE THEY THERE?! Ill never know, and I think that is irritating to me. It is a piece of information I will never receive. So, at the least, I got to see this irritating mystery for myself, with about a thousand other people.

After Stonehenge we piled back on the bus and started our journey to Bath. On the way, since we had front row seats, we got such an amazing view of the English country side. At one interval I saw a peculiar sign that made the whispering wonder burst out a terrifyingly ugly laugh. "Tank Crossing". What in the 7 hells is that sign doing out here in the middle of nowhere?! I found it so funny, I was doubled over in my seat laughing. Not very long after that though, we passed a military base which is obviously where there was a "tank crossing" sign down the road. The base was small and there were soldiers walking around carrying large rut-sacks going about their day as our large coach passed by. The base made my mind wander back to my Sailor on his base in the US. I miss him!

Our arrival to Bath was swift. I enjoyed the ride since being on the road makes me happy (gypsy). Bath was just as I remembered it. Cute, Compact and lively. This time however, I actually go to adventure into the great Roman Baths. It was fantastic to see such an old place. There were many different sections for different baths. Hot baths, cold baths, in the middle baths... I learned quite a lot from this little adventure to Rome. At the end of the tour, I got to drink the spring water, which is said to have 'healing powers'... "We will just see about that" says the whispering wonder. And presto! What do you know, 2 days later I am speaking again! I claim it was the healing water and nothing to do with the antibiotics ;)


After the baths, Emily and I went to find some lunch as we were about to fall over dead from famine. We decided to get off of the main streets and find a place that was A: not as crowded, and B: cheaper. And we did just that! We found a pub called Molloy's where we got two burgers with chips for 8 pounds! (together!) That costed as much as our breakfast sandwiches in Kensington. See, I could live in Bath without breaking the bank, but DANG, Kensington is expensive. (Donations are welcome and appreciated). After lunch we did a spot of shopping around. This is where I found the dreaded PASTY company that sold me the pasty of death 5 years ago. No no pasty company, you shall not poison me this time!

Before we left we grabbed a sweet treat from a place by the baths. I got a brownie that was sent from heaven that made the ride home less painful. The way home it rained, so the coach was much less enjoyable. Our wonderful vista out the front window was disrupted by a thick layer of fog that could not be tamed. So I decided to nap instead. I threw my coat around my neck as one of those travel pillows and that did quite nice for a while, then it was just impossible to sleep any longer. 24 miles to London, so I remained awake.

We passed Fuller's Brewery, where they brew London's Pride Ale. This brewery has been in operation since it brewed for Hampton Court Palace for Henry VIII's court. Tour? Yes please. Its on the list now.

2 comments:

  1. Did you eat the pasty cold? BTW, those pasties did not make you sick. Those were awesome. The one that made you sick we got in Gloucester (on our way to Wales)!

    BTW... Fuller's ESB is exceptionally good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete