Sunday, September 15, 2013

You Know Bede, Right?

The first week of class has come to a stunning finish. I am thankful for ending on British Fantasy Writing to give me good vibes to think on for the weekend. Since I am waiting until 3 days after the week is finished, this is going to be very vague and generic... sorry :(

All of my professors are great, but the classes are not as I anticipated them. They are by no means bad, just different. There are only 3 grades the entire semester. Two papers and a final for most classes. That is cool! History of London is the history of London through many many different perspectives.

I laughed when I read the first page of my history of London book. It explains how London is not like other cities; it is very unique. Cities like Manhattan and Chicago are a grid of numbers, where as London is made up of small villages clustered together with crooked streets with many names. That is the most accurate description ever. This place is a zoo to navigate (although I do it quite well).

Monday morning is omelet morning in the Caf, so I got myself a nice omelet for breakfast, and made my way to Travel Writing. My prof (or Tutor, as they like to say here) is really a classic literary artist. Irish born and Utah raise, he is the ideal poet with a lofty voice and curly dirty blonde hair. We are going over Hikus at the moment and how to write creatively... Obviously I can use this class to spice up my dull writing techniques.

I moved on to the History of London which I have already explained a bit. I have this tutor for another class as well (History of History). She is a petite little french born Canadian with a particular accent. Shes very knowledgeable but has a modern approach to class (which isn't really my favorite) I am the nerd that wants timelines and dates of events. I did not take History of London to learn about modern fashion in London and how it came to be. But, one class I shall learn that. I will be very well rounded in my academics this semester.

Tuesday I proceeded to go to the History of Propaganda class. This professor is an extremely straightforward British man from Yorkshire. He speaks quickly and deliberately yet, enjoys a good laugh. This will be an interesting course. One of my new found friends, Marlene, from Austria, is in it so that will make it all the better. Thursdays class we went to the British Library where I got my reading pass (after an attempted fail on Monday). We went to a Propaganda and Power exhibition at the Library, which was really interesting!



Myths and Monsters, History of History is the title of my other class, and I thought, wrongly, that it would be about British myths and monsters.... not history of history... lol, what is this? To give you an idea, I am going to give a presentation on Bede. Bede, you know, the first English historian.

The last class I am in is British Fantasy Writing, which, of course, we are going to learn about Beowulf, Gawain the Green Knight, Shakespeare's weird stuff, Alice in Wonderland, and most importantly LORD OF THE RINGS and HARRY POTTER. YES. Enough said!

PS: the entire week, I've been really sick, so it has not been much fun. But milk, cookies and lemurs make it OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment