Saturday, September 21, 2013

The Premier League

My friend Katharine (kat) has graciously invited me to go to the Chelsea Vs. Fulham Premier League game with her! Tickets to these games are rare to the common non member, but with a few connections she managed to get them.

Chelsea's stadium, Stamford Bridge, is on Fulham Street, so you can imagine the closeness of the teams and the rivalry that comes with their location. A few hours before the game starts we head to Fulham Broadway  on the tube and find ourselves at a pub: The Rose. We met Kat's friends there who are exceptionally friendly and welcoming, buying us a round of Amsteds (Delicious Lager). We sit and chat about the game, where we are from, why we are in London, why we like Chelsea, and why we like football in general, since we are Americans after-all.

After an hour or more, slightly intoxicated, we make our way to Stamford Bridge to watch the match. This game was much better than the last! The teams played well, and Chelsea won 2-0! A victorious match. At halftime we ran out to use the toilets, and get another beer. Unfortunately this time, the beer tasted like horse urine, so I was hesitant to finish mine.

We returned to the game in the nick of time, finished watching the second half, drunkenly sprinted to the gift shop, bought a 40 pound jersey, and walked back to the pub.I love my jersey to this day, but I know I wouldn't have bought it if Chelsea would have lost, and if I wasn't drunk. But I will cherish it even more!

Unfortunately all the rest of this seasons' games are sold out! Hopefully we can worm our way into a match before we leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment